After installing the component, open Flash and locate the FlashTextEditor2 or FTELight2 component in the components panel:
Note: the FTELight2 component does not include all of the features shown below.
1. Create an empty input textfield on the stage using the Text tool. With the textfield still selected press Ctrl+F3 (Windows) or Cmnd +F3 (Mac) to open the properties panel and give it the instance name 'myText' (without the quotes). Set the text field's other properties as in the image below.
Note: the textfield must be set to be multiline.
2. Press Ctrl+F7 (Windows) or Cmnd+F7 (Mac) to open the Components panel and drag the FlashTextEditor component out of the panel and drop it onto the 'myText' textfield.
Note that the targetTextField property in the FlashTextEditor's property panel should now automatically have been set to be 'myText'. (Whenever this component is dropped on top of a textfield, the targetTextField parameter will automatically take the instance name value of the text field the component was dropped on.)
3. Give the FlashTextEditor the instance name 'fte' (without the quotes).
4. Position the component outside the stage so that it's not visible. You can now set its properties as per your requirements if you wish.
Note: The component properties panel shows the main properties only. The full list of properties can be accessed through the Component Inspector panel. Click here for an explanation of each property.
5. Drag the FTEControlMMv2 component from the Components panel above the text field and give it the instance name 'fteControls' (without the quotes).
6. Type the instance name of the FlashTextEditor2 component (fte) inside the 'FTE Instance' property field of FTEControlMMv2. (If you wish to set the other component properties as per your requirements.)
7. Drag the FTEDialogsMMv2 component from the Components panel onto the stage and name it 'fteDialogs' (without the quotes).
8. Type the instance name of the FTEControlMMv2 component (fteControls) inside the 'FTE Instance' field of FTEDialogsMMv2. (If you wish to set the other component properties as per your requirements.)
9. Press Ctrl+S (Windows) or Cmnd+S (Mac) to save your file and Ctrl+Enter (Windows) or Cmnd+Enter (Mac) to test your file.
Note: FTEControlMMv2 must always be initialized after the FlashTextEditor2 and FTEDialogsMMv2 components.
Please refer to the ActionScript reference for sample code and advanced options.